AWARD OF FELLOWSHIPS 2017
INDIAN INSTITUTE OF ADVANCED STUDY
Rashtrapati Nivas, Shimla – 171005
Advertisement No. 1/2017
AWARD OF FELLOWSHIPS-2017
Areas of Research
(a) Social, Political and Economic Philosophy;
(b) Comparative Indian Literature (including Ancient, Medieval, Modern Folk and Tribal);
(c) Comparative Studies in Philosophy and Religion;
(d) Comparative Studies in History (including Historiography and Philosophy of History);
(e) Education, Culture, Arts including performing Arts and Crafts;
(f) Fundamental Concepts and Problems of Logic and Mathematics;
(g) Fundamental Concepts and Problems of Natural and Life Sciences;
(h) Studies in Environment;
(i) Indian Civilization in the context of Asian Neighbours; and
(j) Problems of Contemporary India in the context of National Integration and Nation-building.
- Applications from scholars working in, and on, the North-Eastern region are encouraged.
- Scholars belonging to the weaker sections of society and those who are differently abled/physical challenged are also encouraged to apply.
- The term of Fellowship is for a minimum of six months & maximum of two years, but in no case, will it be extend beyond two years.
- Fellows would be expected to remain in residence from 1st March to 15th December. Their stay at the Institute during the winter months would be optional.
- It is mandatory for in-service candidates to apply through proper channel.
- Fellowship applications of scholars who have been a National Fellow, Tagore Fellow and Fellow of the Institute within last five years will not be considered.
- Since the Institute is committed to Advanced Study, proposals involving empirical work would not be considered.
- The pay of in-service Fellows would be protected. In addition, they will also get 20 per cent of their basic pay in case they are maintaining a separate house at the place of their work, other than government accommodation.
- The monthly Fellowship grant for retired/independent/foreign Fellows is presently @ Rs.56,400/- per month, without deducting pension, if any.
Terms of Fellowships:
- Fellows are expected to participate in the academic programmes of the Institute, such as, lectures delivered by Visiting Scholars, Professors and Guest Fellows.
- Participation is must for the Thursday Fellows’ Weekly Seminars if a Fellow is in station.
- The Institute would evaluate and consider for publication the monographs of the Fellows submitted on completion of their term.
- The Institute will have the first right of publication and will have the copyright of the monograph submitted by the Fellow.
Absence from Headquarters:
- Absence from headquarters on account of leave, such as, duty leave, causal leave, earned leave, half-pay commuted leave) & study leave, as per rules of the Institute, will be with the prior approval of the Director.
- In the event of the Fellowship period being less than a year, this will be admissible on a pro rata basis.
Accommodation & other facilities:
- The Institute provides semi furnished rent-free accommodation to Fellows in cottages on the campus of the Institute. Additional furnishing, if available can be availed of on payment basis.
- Gas Stove, cylinder, fridge on payment of monthly charges are provided to the Fellows.
Study Room, Internet and Library access:
- Fellows are provided furnished study rooms on sharing basis with individual computer and Internet facilities.
- Fellows are provided Library access from 9.00 a..m. to 7.00 p.m. on all working days except national and gazetted holidays.
- Fellows are provided books as per Library rules.
Stationery and Transportation
- The Fellows are provided with free stationery.
- The Fellows are provided facility to use Institute's vehicles for personal use within the Municipal limits on payment basis.
- Fellows are entitled to medical facility available at the Dispensary of the Institute headed by a Resident Medical Officer.
There is a Fellows’ Mess to cater to the needs of the Fellows on payment of nominal charges. The Mess Committee is headed by a Fellow who is assisted by other Members nominated by the Director from amongst the officials of the Institute.
Fellows would be entitled to all the recreational and sports facilities of the Institute on payment of fixed annual charges.