Professor (Retd.) Kapil Kapoor
1. Chancellor Mahatma Gandhi Antararashtriya Hindi Vishwavidyalaya Wardha
2. Age: Born 17.11.1940; 78+ on 21-12-2018
3. Education: M.A., M.LITT, PhD Specialization: Language, Literature and Linguistics; Indian Intellectual Traditions; Sanskrit Knowledge Systems,
a. Academic Recognition & b. Awards
a. Academic Recognition
Editor-in-Chief, 11-Volume Encyclopedia of Hinduism (sponsored by Parmarth Niketan / India Heritage Research Foundation, USA) that has recently (January 2012) been published and Chief Editor of the Sahitya Akademi sponsored Encyclopedia of Indian Poetics, a UNESCO project, that is under publication.
Visiting Professor Irish Academy of Cultural Heritages, University of Ulster, U.K. (2005-2009).
Nominated Member, External Adviser, India Studies, Trinity College (Universit y) Dublin. Nominated Birla Foundation Fellow in 2007
Nominated Member Governing Body, Indian Institute of Advanced Studies (IIAS) Shimla, 2000-2004.
Nominated Member Governing Council Indian Council of Philosophical Research (ICPR) 2002-2004.
Nominated Satindra Singh. Noor Fellow Punjabi University Patiala 2011-2013.
Nominated Member, the Monitoring and Planning Committee of Central University of Higher Tibetan Studies, Sarnath and Member General Council.
Nominated Member, Sanchi University Mentor Group (SUMG) and General Council, Sanchi University of Buddhist and Indic Studies, Sanchi, Madhya Pradesh. Chairman, from 2014 September to August 2016, MHRD Language Expert Committee for Comprehensive Language Policy for India.
Chairman, Editorial Committee of the Indian Historical Records Committee, National Achieves Govt. of India.
Member, Standing Committee of the Indian Historical Records Committee, National Achieves Govt. of India.
UGC Emeritus Fellow at JNU 2007-2009.
Adviser CBSE New Delhi for English since 2000 Nominated member Academic Council of the Central Institute of English and Foreign Languages, Hyderabad and of the Executive Council Central University of Hyderabad
2012 honoured as a distinguished scholar by Kunwar Narendra Pratap Singh Kalyankari Trust Gorakhpur by Mahant Adityanath Yogi ji.
2010 by Shiksha Sanskriti Utthana Nyasa for contribution to Indian education.
2011 honored at Maria Louis a University Los Angeles by the Uberoi Foundation California USA for his contribution to Linguistics and Indic Civilization Studies. 2003 by MHRD, India, for his contribution to Sanskrit Studies
5. Academic / Research Experience Former Rector (Pro-Vice-Chancellor) JNU from 1999-2002, Dean of the School of Language, Literature and Culture Studies, JNU, from 1996-1999, Professor of English, Centre for Linguistics and English, and Concurrent Professor, Centre for Sanskrit Studies, Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi.
Teaching Experience: 57 years - been teaching since 1960; in Delhi University 1962-1971; in Jawaharlal Nehru University (JNU) 1972-2005.; Visiting Professor Bhagat Phool Singh Mahila VishwavidyalayaKhanpur Kalan, Haryana 2010-2014. Research Experience: Almost 50 years since the M.LITT degree, 1968-1970, from Delhi University
6. PhD Guidance at JNU: 37 PhD, 30 M.PHIL awarded.
7. Publications and Research
a. 14 Major Books Up to 2017
b. 72 Articles (up to 2012, not tracked by me after 2012, the number must be now beyond 100),
c. 37 Invited Keynote Addresses/Lectures (Up to 2013; after that have not kept track – the number must be beyond 60 by now)
BOOKS & MONOGRAPHS:
a. Books: (After 2005)
1. Mutual Regard: An Anthology of Indo-Irish Writings. (ed.) DK Printworld (P) Ltd. New Delhi. 2017
2. Indravijayam: The India Narrative. (Translated from Sanskrit). Rupa Publications. Delhi. 2017
3. Encyclopedia of Hinduism (11 Volumes). RUPA. New Delhi 2012. International Edition, Mandala Publications USA 2013.
4. Rati-Bhakti in India’s Narrative Traditions [Hindi] written as a Birla Foundation Fellow, 2007 – 2008. DK Printworld (P) Ltd. New Delhi. 2011.
5. Dimensions of Panini Grammar: Indian Grammatical System. DK Print world (P) Ltd. New Delhi. 2005
6. Text and Interpretation: The Indian Tradition. DK Print world (P) Ltd. New Delhi. 2005.
7. Indian Knowledge Systems (2 Vols.), (edited) DK Printworld (P) Ltd. New Delhi. 2005.
Earlier books include
8.Semantic Structure and the Verb: A Propositional Analysis. New Delhi: Intellectual Publishers, 1985.
9.Grading Criteria for Neo-Literate Materials (Co-author, Prof. Mushtaque Ahmad). New Delhi: Jamia University Press, 1987.
10. English in India, ed. (Co-editor, Dr. R. S. Gupta). New Delhi: Academic Foundation, 1991.
11. Language, Linguistics and Literature: The Indian Perspective. New Delhi: Academic Foundation, 1994.
12. South-Asian Love Poetry, ed. (Co-editor, Dr. S. K. Sareen). New Delhi: Affiliated East-West Press, 1994.
13. Canonical Texts of English Literary Criticism with Selections from Classical Poeticians, ed. (Co-editor, Mrs. Ranga Kapoor). New Delhi: Academic Foundation, 1995.
14. Literary Theory, Indian Conceptual Framework. New Delhi: Affiliated East-West Press, 1998.
• Indian Tradition of Language Studies and Contemporary Relevance. Anand: HM Patel Institute of English, Sardar Patel University, Vallabh Vidyanagar, 1998.
• Knowledge, Individual and Society in Indian Traditions. Chandigarh: Saini Memorial Foundation Lecture, Punjab University, 2002.
Abhinavagupta Manuscripts (by December 2017)
b. Research Articles 72+
c. Invited Keynote Addresses 80+
For the Keynote Addresses, please see Addendum 2
8. a. Relevant Administrative Experience, and
b. Committees Membership
a. Relevant Administrative Experience in JNU, New Delhi:
1. Rector (Pro-Vice-Chancellor), JNU, 1999-2002
2. Dean, School of Language, Literature and Culture Studies, JNU, 1997– 1999
3. Chairman, Centre for Linguistics and English 1977-1982, 1997 January – 1997 May.
4. Visitor’s Nominee on JNU Executive Council 1977-79
Some Other Academic/Administrative Positions:
5. Core Member, Curriculum Development Committee for Sanskrit, UGC, 2000.
6. Member, UGC Committee for Orissa University of Culture, 2001.
7. Member, UGC Review Committee for Punjab University, 2001.
8. Member, X Plan UGC Committee for University of Manipur, 2002.
9. Convener, X Plan Committee for University of Kashmir, Srinagar,
10. Convener, X Plan Committee for Tamil University, Thanjavur. 2007
11. Convener, XI Plan Committee North Gujarat University, Patan, 2007/8.